Monday, August 22, 2011

Aug. 22

I should apologise for the lack of posting on my part.  We have been BUSY.
We shot thru IL like a rocket and made it to Missouri fine.   We were just outside of St. Louis when the sky turned BLACK.  I knew what was coming when I saw all of the cars heading the other direction with their lights on.  The heavens opened up.  Rain like you wouldn't believe.  It was blowing like a banshee.  I couldn't see twenty feet in front of the truck.  I pulled to the side of the interstate, along with most of the traffic and waited for the tornado to take us to Kansas.  It never came.  The sky parted and the blue came back.  I was so relieved.  Back on the road thru Missouri with no more problems.  We hit Kansas City for fuel and when I got out of the truck I realized I was wearing my Denver Broncos cap.  I told Tres that this could be fun and went in to get some coolant from the store.  The Chiefs fans in the store shot some pretty sweet looks my way, but nothing was said.  We headed for Lawrence KS for the night.
We boondocked in Lawrence on the night of the 12th.  The humidity was still with us but not as bad as it had been.  We woke on the 13th ready for the final push into Denver.  I had been keeping an eye on a wearing trailer tire for a few days and thought that we could limp into CO with it.  We headed out and made it as far as Hays KS, it was like 150+/- miles away.  One look at the tire and I was done trying to limp anywhere.  Time for a new one.  The heat of the highway and the holes we hit did it in.  Another 20 miles and I would have been changing a blow out.  Once the two and a half hour tire change was done we were back looking for the friendly CO border.  Not so fast Mr. Hendricks, lets give you a mean head wind and a steady climb up to the mile high city.  We did about 40-45 mph for several hours before the road changed directions and I could use the trailer as a sail.  I was actually able to do 60+mph without my foot on the gas or at least barely on the gas for about a half hour.  It was sweet.  We made it into the Denver area ready to see the Storey family again and crash.
The Storey family was awesome, they let us park the rig at their house and stay with them.  It was another few days to enjoy Jess' cooking and friendship.  Our kids play so well with hers.  They really have a blast doing what kids are supposed to do.   We went out to Red Rocks on Sunday the 14th.  We were feeling the elevation and the dry heat.  Not complaining, it was great to feel the comforts of the west.  The kids ran stairs and us adults sat and watched.  Monday was the day I was looking for.  DENVER BRONCOS training camp.  We hit the afternoon session and were amazed to see just how close we were to the players.  We sat on a small hill about six feet from the sidelines.  We had a great time watching all of the players, coaches and staff doing their thing.  We must have taken two hundred pictures.  It was fantastic.  I would have been fine with just the practice, but after practice we were able to stay and get autographs from selected players.  Some of the more notable players were:Knowshon Moreno, D.J. Williams, Robert Ayers, Brandon Lloyd, Demaryius Thomas and Eddie Royal.  SOOOO COOL!!  We had been informed during the practice that if we wanted to stick around, we could watch the John Elway sports show taping from the facility.  Well needless to say we stayed.  I was able to see my favorite person outside of my family.  The legend himself.  Brian Dawkins was the guest and it was a super time.  After the taping, Mr. Elway walked right up to where we were standing and I got a picture with him as well as an autograph.  Now I was definitely in shock.  Special thanks to my beautiful wife for ensuring that this all happened.  I was so excited I didn't even ask for a picture.  She loves me!  We headed back on Tuesday for one more practice session and enjoyed it as well.  We finished the visit with Jess and the kids on Wed., with a semi down day. Swimming and the kids running all over the neighborhood.  Thursday was the day to head towards Boise.  With the projected weather we opted to go north thru WY instead of over the Rockies.  To hot and to steep.  Up thru Cheyenne and over to Rock Springs for the night.  Parts of WY are beautiful, but I still hate the wind!  It really kills a drive.  I fought it all day and was ready for a good nights sleep.
We have been boondocking at Walmart
Saturday the 20th, Tres and the kids went over to visit her family and I headed out to the Boise State fall scrimmage with my parents and my sister and her family.  It was probably the only time this year I will get to see them live, so I took it.  We had a great time and the team does look pretty good.  Bring it UGA!!!!!
 Sunday was a special day.  My niece Em was baptised in the Boise river.  It was great to see her take that big step in her life.  Beautiful.  We were blessed to be able to be here to see it.
I woke up early today and took my Dad fishing.  We have not been in a long time, so I felt that it was time to get it done.  I made him a bamboo spinning rod before we left on this trip and he was able to hook a few rainbows on it today.  We had a great time enjoying a quiet river and time to just be.
 We have a few things to tie up before we head out again on the 24th.  Probably won't get to hang with the friends but we will have plenty of time to catch up when we are back for good.  I know everyone will understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment